I know many of you have been living through some pretty hot temps so far this summer. We certainly have had warm temperatures for the PNW. Well this strawberry rhubarb frozen cream pie is just the treat to help you cool off.
While making this refreshing frozen pie, a little mishap occurred. Who knew preparing food could be hazardous, other than burning a tray of cookies or heaven forbid forgetting to put the lid of the vitamix on. While busy cooking up some strawberry rhubarb compote for this Strawberry rhubarb frozen cream pie and my strawberry rhubarb sorbet, I decided to just take a quick pic of the compote for the sorbet with my iPhone instead of grabbing my camera. Plop, the iPhone dropped in to the beautiful sticky compote. It would have been safer with the Nikon with its strap around my neck. I have a tendency to drop or fumble with things on a frequent basis, I’m actually surprised it hadn’t happened sooner. Thankfully I have a case on my iPhone and that covered up most of the phone, protecting it. Hopefully the thickness of the compote is to my advantage, because only a little bit got into the charging port. It’s turned off now and sitting in a bag of rice. We will see if that works.
Meanwhile there was rhubarb to be used and strawberries too. It’s that time of year, and I still have rhubarb to pick in the garden. Freezing rhubarb works great for those wintertime crisps and cobblers and my rhubarb coffee cake, however it’s rather warm out now and this beautiful strawberry rhubarb frozen cream pie is going to be a nice refreshment at the end of this hot day.
You will need to plan ahead and make some of my coconut butter and soak some cashews for 4-6 hours.
Oh and by the way the iPhone is fine and working perfectly, thank goodness as half my life is in that phone.
- 3 cups rhubarb chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups strawberries quartered
- 3/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 cup cashews soaked for 4-5 hours
- 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 2 Tbs coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup shredded dry organic coconut
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
- Add rhubarb and water together in sauce pan.
- Over medium heat cook and stir for about 5-10 min until rhubarb becomes soft and breaks apart.
- Add strawberries, lemon juice and sweetner.
- Continue to cook over medium heat for 5-8 more minutes until strawberries start to become soft.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Add almond meal and sweetner into food processor and blend until it becomes a ball. It will look like a typical pie crust pastry.
- Put into pie plate and form into crust.
- Put into refrigerator while you finish filling.
- Put cooled compote into food processor,
- add soaked cashews, coconut butter, coconut oil, sweetner and blend.
- Pour into crust, sprinkle with coconut and garnish with strawberry.
- place in freezer, 4-5 hours until firm or overnight
- remove from freezer just prior to serving, let thaw just slightly until you can cut through it.
Tags: cashews coconut butter gluten free vegan