The Thai basil in my greenhouse is growing like a weed, which is great because then I have it on hand when ever I want to make this Thai Basil Fried Rice. Fresh is best and it is so nice not to have to run to the store when I need basil. This recipe is made almost weekly in our house.
Herbs are an amazing part of a whole food plant-based eating lifestyle. If you have room to have a container garden if even just to plant a few herbs like rosemary, thyme and basil, it is so worth it to have these on hand fresh for the using.
Because this recipe calls for COLD cooked rice, I find it very handy on the weekend to cook a big pot of brown rice and keep it in the frig. It makes it so much faster to make this meal if you have prepared the rice a day or two ahead of time.
That way during the week, its ready for this Thai Basil Fried Rice or for my Brown Rice and Kale Salad. Either of these recipes are a great way to use up leftover brown rice too.
Thai Basil Fried Rice can be used as a main dish or as a side, black beans is a nice addition to this flavorful asian recipe. Take the time to make this recipe and each time you do it you will become faster and it will become super simple and one of those meals that you can just whip up and put on the table in no time.
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbs of coconut oil
- 3 cups of COOKED COLD Brown rice
- 1 cup of green beans
- 1-2 carrots sliced thin
- 1 pepper, red, green or yellow sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium zucchini sliced (optional)
- 2 cups of kale (baby kale works great)optional
- 1 bunch of green onions cut into 2 inch lengths
- 1 tsp herbamere or 1/2 sea salt
- 2 Tbs of tamari-gluten free
- 1 cup of fresh basil leaves
- Saute garlic over medium heat in coconut oil.
- Add vegetables, herbamere and tamari.
- Stir and cover, stir about every minute until vegetables are cooked.
- Add rice, stir and cover for few minutes.
- Stir again, when rice is warmed through, add basil, cover till wilted.
Tags: green beans green onions peppers