Chunky Vegetable Spaghetti Sauce has a story behind it. Once upon a time there was three pounds of Roma tomatoes and 1/2 pound of mushrooms that had been rescued from the 50% off shelf at the store, they needed to be cooked and made into something sumptuous. Enter one zucchini and a carrot, surrounded by a couple dozen Brussels sprouts, that were just hoping to be part of the party. Basil, oregano, thyme, parsley were hanging out too, knowing they could contribute to the help the mouth-watering dish come together. Spinach and chard weren’t about to be left behind, so they jumped in too, and everything sat bubbling upon a stove.
That wasn’t the end of the story, as there was a spaghetti squash that was ready to be put in a water bath and be baked in the oven, sprinkled with salt and pepper, and drizzled with olive oil. So the sauce continued to simmer and bubble and the spaghetti squash baked and became ready to be adorned with the Chunky Vegetable Spaghetti Sauce. A combination of spices, vegetables and some tender moist spaghetti squash was about to become a spectacular dish and a meal in itself.
The Chunky Vegetable Spaghetti Sauce simmering on the stove was almost finished, the flavors had melded together and the sauce had thickened. The spaghetti squash was now ready to be untangled with a fork. After cooling, the strands of spaghetti squash were scraped out and placed into a bowl. The Chunky Vegetable Spaghetti Sauce was ladled upon the strands of spaghetti squash and they all lived happily ever after.
Seriously this is an amazing way to have a pasta dinner without the pasta. Gluten free, grain free and vegan, so much flavor and plant based. I believe it even tastes better than regular or gluten free pasta noodles most will choose to use with spaghetti sauce. Buy a spaghetti squash and give it a try.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 pound brussel sprouts trimmed and halved
- 1 carrot thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms quartered
- 3 pounds of roma tomatoes, quartered and halved
- 1 can of Muir glen tomato paste
- 1 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups of fresh spinach, chard or kale
- In pot saute in olive oil onion and garlic, for 5 minutes.
- Add brussel sprouts, and carrot, saute for 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini, and mushrooms, saute for 5 more minutes.
- Add Tomatoes, tomato paste, spices, and greens, cover for 2 minutes.
- When greens are wilted, stir and reduce to simmer.
- Let simmer for 30 minutes uncovered.
Keep your vegetables chunky when you chop them, don't dice them.
Tags: sauce spaghetti sauce spaghetti squash