We were blessed to have four generations in our household celebrating Father’s Day. I have always lived out-of-state from the rest of my family, so usually we have always celebrated holidays and birthdays without extended family. But my parents have been visiting for the past two weeks so it was very exciting to be able to have my dad here for Father’s Day. Then of course my husband was here and my son-in-law was here celebrating his first Father’s day. How fun it was and a beautiful sunny day too.
If my father is here than there has to be dessert, and of course the simplest vitamix vegan vanilla ice cream. We celebrated with Rhubarb Blueberry Crisp. It’s gluten free and and can be vegan too. With rhubarb coming from our garden and blueberries from the freezer. With plenty of rhubarb to pick, there should be more rhubarb blueberry crisp’s in our future.
This crisp is pretty quick and simple to make. I made it and let it bake while we were eating dinner.
- 4 cups rhubarb chopped thin
- 2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen
- 3 Tbs arrowroot powder
- 2 Tbs coconut flour or other gluten free flour
- 3/4 cup honey or pure maple syrup
- 4 flax eggs or regular eggs
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free oats
- 3/4 cup rice flour or other gluten free flour
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut oil softened but not melted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup roughly ground walnuts
- In large bowl combine rhubarb and berries.
- Sprinkle arrowroot and flour and stir to coat the fruit.
- Stir in honey, cinnamon, eggs and orange zest.
- Lightly grease your baking dish with coconut oil
- Pour into 10x15 baking dish.
- In small bowl combine the oats and flour.
- Sprinkle over fruit mixture.
- Drop the coconut oil by 1/2 teaspoons full over the oatmeal mixture.
- Drizzle with honey or pure maple syrup
- Sprinkle with walnuts
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, until bubbly.
Tags: dairy free gluten free refined sugar free