Do you need a new recipe to make with all your green beans that were so prolific this summer in the garden. Well look no farther, this Garden Green Bean Salad is what you have been waiting for, full of freshness and savory flavors. The tenderness of the fingerling potatoes and the oven roasted tomatoes should spark your interest, add in the fresh basil, need I say more. I can hear you now, heading out to the garden or to your local farmers market to pick up the ingredients for this salad, which is bound to be your new favorite.
Did you know that green beans are high in anti-inflammatory flavonoids? Also the flavonoid, quercetin which helps modify allergens. Thanks green beans! Quercetin has made it possible for me to stop taking over the counter allergy medicines, that’s pretty awesome I think.
My green beans went crazy this summer and I have plenty of them. Just steaming them seems rather boring to me so I was on the look out for some recipe that was going to have green beans as a main ingredient. Between this Garden Green Bean Salad and my Summer Vegetable medley, I’ve been able to put quite a dent in my green bean harvest.
Depending on the quantity of each of the vegetables in this Garden Green Bean Salad you decide to use, will depend on how big of a bowl you end up with. I’m always into cooking in large quantities and having a refrigerator full of tasty food, so I don’t have to spend every evening in the kitchen. This salad keeps well and if choosing vegan, just leave out the feta cheese. (although it does add a nice additional flavor to it).
If you haven’t quite made up your mind about making this salad, don’t the vibrant colors just make you want to throw it together and give it a try?
You will also need to make Vegan Caesar Dressing to go on this Garden Green Bean Salad, but it’s simple and it makes plenty and can be stored in the refrigerator and used for the second time you will want to make this salad. I guarantee you, you will be wanting to make this salad time and time again.
This recipe was adapted from True Food Cookbook.
- 1-3 pounds of red or fingerling potatoes quartered, depending on how big of a salad you want.
- 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 20 grape or cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 pound of green beans, trimmed,cut in 2 inch pieces and blanched for 6 minutes
- 2 small zucchini, sliced and quartered
- 1 cup of kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 3 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup of feta (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put quartered potatoes and olive oil in large bowl with a lid and shake to coat the potatoes. Spread potatoes out on cookie sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place in oven for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes over the partially roasted potatoes and return to the oven for 10 more minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- In large bowl combine the green beans, zucchini, olives and basil, toss to combine.
- Add the cooled potatoes and tomatoes to the vegetables.
- Add dressing, and stir. Put in refrigerator for 1/2 hour before serving.
- Toss again and add feta if desired.
Tags: olives oven roasted tomatoes potatoes zucchini