It’s springtime and that means flowers, warmer weather, lower utility bills, sprouting vegetables, salads, and grilling. Salads, did someone say salads? Try out this Quinoa Mediterranean Salad for your first course of the BBQ. Your guests will love it. Since I first started making this salad and brought to a friend’s house for dinner, and now she makes it, the recipe has spread like wildfire. Kinda spread like rumors but this salad is much better that.
So while it might be springtime for many of us. We are enjoying cherry blossoms, tulips, and leafs on the trees.
Many of you are still dealing with this, but I know these folks are thankful for the moisture.
So maybe we all need a fresh new salad to get this spring off to a great start or at least make it feel like spring in our stomachs.
A salad that is a meal in itself. Quinoa which is a complete protein, the freshness of basil and crunch of red peppers and onions. It doesn’t stop there, with juicy cherry tomatoes and the strong flavored greek kalamata olives. The crumbly goat feta is optional so not only is it gluten free, it can be dairy free too.
This will become a relished spring and summertime salad. Shoot, why limit yourself, this salad is great any time of year. Bring it to your next BBQ or potluck and you’re sure to go home with an empty bowl
This Quinoa Mediterranean salad will have you hoping your guests don’t show up so you can eat it all.
Adapted from The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook
- 2 cup quinoa rinsed
- 3 cups water to cook quinoa
- 1 cup artichoke hearts-chopped
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and cut in half
- tomatoes chopped, cherry, roma
- ½ of a red pepper chopped-fresh or roasted
- ½ cup Red onions chopped
- Fresh basil, 10 leaves chopped
- ½ cup Feta(optional)
- 1 carrot diced(optional)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 4 Tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp sea salt or Herbamare
- cook quinoa in your rice cooker or on the stove.
- cool when done.
- In large bowl combine rest of ingredients.
- Add quinoa when cooled.
- Whisk together dressing, add to salad
Tags: artichokes basil gluten free quinoa