Tangerine Cranberry Salad is the perfect choice for a salad this time of year, have you seen all the fresh citrus abounding at your local grocery store? I had a grapefruit this morning for breakfast and it was out of this world. Plan on grapefruit making an appearance in a recipe soon. I usually don’t eat that much citrus, but this time of year everything is just so fresh and calling my name. I really want to try a tangelo, have you ever tried one? I’m probably just a little late to the tangelo party, but going to grab one the next time I’m at the store. Meanwhile we have fresh juicy tangerines to grace this salad.
Dried cranberries is one of my favorite dried fruits, preferably sweetened with juice instead of sugar. Recently though when I went to buy some more dried cranberries I noticed the ones sweetened with juice weren’t organic and the other ones sweetened with cane sugar were organic, what’s the lesser of two evils? I went with the organic, I don’t eat that many of them so figured I can handle a little bit of the cane sugar. I usually just use the dried cranberries for an accent on a salad or in my granola or trail mix.
It’s time to get our salad making on and enjoy some of this freshness of Spring, even if some of you are still experiencing cold temperatures. We can’t have all sweet and no savory as that makes for a lopsided salad. Let’s add some red onions, celery and a dressing of ginger, tangerine juice and sweetener of your choice and a little olive oil. Serving this refreshing salad as a main course for lunch or as an accompaniment for dinner alongside some wild Alaskan salmon would be a meal anyone would be happy to be served. Eat fresh, eat green, red, and orange, eat the colors of the rainbow.
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 1/4 cup dried Cranberries
- 2 tangerines peeled and pulled apart
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion sliced
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 6 tablespoons tangerine juice, about 3 tangerines
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- In Vitamix or other blender combine all ingredients for dressing except olive oil. Blend on high for just a minute.
- Turn blender down to low and pour olive oil in through lid while blending on low.
- In medium bowl toss dressing with greens.
- Add remaining salad ingredients either to bowl of greens or plate the greens and add to each individual salad.
Tags: cranberries salad tangerine vegan